Office Chic at Whistles
Thankfully the days of dressing in a humdrum conservative way at work are long gone and you can be 'Office Chic' rather than the office geek! (yes I'm hilarious I know). Even if you work in a truly Corporate environment you can be braver these days. In fact, I wholeheartedly believe if you stick to 'standard' navy, black or grey suits you're making yourself invisible, blending in to a sea of bland and that's not going to get to that promotion - the bosses are always watching! That old chestnut - Dress for the job you want still has gravitas. Stand out without shouting - that's a good mantra to have at work I reckon. On almost every single personal shopping trip I've done in the past five weeks my clients have loved a bit of Whistles and ended up buying everything I've shown them. Size 8 or size 16 there is really strong workwear in the collection right now, they've got some great smart/casual separates that will make pulling an outfit together in the morning rush an easier job.
Here are my top essential work wardrobe picks.
- A simple ivory silk blouse. I love the simplicity of this, the sleeves are a flattering length and this item will work so hard in any smart work environment for meetings or presentations.
2. Slim cut navy trousers. Another absolute must and slim cut cropped is the cut to wear now if you want to keep your wardrobe up-to-date and current.
3. Jazz-up the above two pieces with a red loafer shoe - standing out in the sea of corporate/business colours. Great height - you can actually WALK.
4. Grey long sleeve basic top. Ruffles add interest and this is great for layering under a smart jacket.
5. Leopard print shoes. I've started shying away from these a bit because Teresa May has claimed the corporate work dress with leopard print kitten heels as her look (and good on her!). BUT because they are not kitten heels but a classic court and in a pony skin have decided these totally rock and would be great with all skinny and slim cut trousers for the office.
6. A silk shirt dress or more powerful, a RED shirt dress. Another top item to have in your work wardrobe right now to keep your look current. if your look is current your ideas will seem more current - it's a sub-conscious thing us humans do - judge people based on their appearance. I'm not saying it's right but it's a fact! What you wear has actual power!
7. And finally, my fave, a silk shirt dress in a lightening print! WOW - really love this print, far from dull, far from humdrum.
Lisa Gillbe is a personal shopper and stylist based in London. If you are fed up of wearing the same stuff to work and would like a wardrobe update get in touch for a quote today.